Atmos described one recent scam as “an ongoing Search Engine Phishing operation” under which con artists use search-engine optimization techniques to promote bogus websites.
Atmos described the scam as “an ongoing Search Engine Phishing operation” under which con artists use search-engine optimization techniques to increase the online prominence of the bogus websites. These spoofed websites almost precisely mimic Atmos Energy’s actual site, except that they feature fake numbers for customer service. Atmos warns that customers who call any of the fake numbers may be asked to provide log-in credentials or other sensitive information that scammers then leverage to compromise sensitive bank and credit card information.
Atmos officials said they also have been alerted to other sorts of scams, including one in which impostors call utility customers directly and offer bill discounts in exchange for immediate payment over the phone.
The gas utility offers the following reminders:
- Atmos Energy will never ask for payment using prepaid debit cards, gift cards, cryptocurrency, or unauthorized third-party payment or mobile application.
- If you ever have concerns about the legitimacy of a call, simply hang up and call Atmos Energy customer service at 888.286.6700.
- Payment for an Atmos Energy bill should be made through the online Account Center or through other authorized payment methods.
- Atmos Energy will provide multiple notices and work to assist customers with payment plans and assistance options before any service interruptions take place.
- Unless there is an emergency, Atmos Energy employees will not call before 7 a.m. or after 6 p.m. Central time.
“In addition to online and telephone scams, beware of impostors demanding payment at your door,” said Kelly Biegler, Atmos Energy vice president of public affairs. “Always ask for an employee’s identification badge which displays name, photograph, and Atmos Energy logo. Our employees will not collect payments in person.”
Customers who suspect fraud or who otherwise feel threatened during contact with a scammer should contact local law enforcement authorities and Atmos Energy Customer Service at 888.286.6700, Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. Central time.